We are seeking solutions for Electrical Safety PPEs (Aprons/Jackets) that will protect the upper body completely while working on live LT lines, should be comfortable to wear in hot and humid conditions and should be cost-effective.
Electrical safety PPEs reduce electrical exposure, which may result in severe fatalities. Currently, operators use different PPEs to cover different body parts like safety glasses, face shields, hard hats, safety shoes, insulating gloves with leather protectors, insulating sleeves, and flame-resistant (FR) Aprons.
For the upper body, jackets are used to cover the torso, gloves are used to cover the arms & forearms and a face visor is used to cover the face. The elbows and neck do not get covered. As the upper body is not completely covered, there is a risk of exposure of uncovered body parts. In addition, another drawback of PPEs is that it becomes very uncomfortable wearing them, especially in summer when the humidity is high and the temperature is more than 40 oC.
Thus, there is a need for a suitable PPE that will protect the upper body completely, comfortable to wear in hot and humid conditions, safe to use while working on live LT electric lines and should also be cost-effective
Various PPEs from renowned manufacturers have been explored. PPEs like insulated Apron, Full Arm Sleeves & Jackets have been tried. However, these PPEs are not comfortable to wear in hot and humid conditions. They are also not cost-effective.
PPEs (Aprons/Jackets) that can be used for working on live LT electric lines (440 Volts) and meet the following requirements.
• Must cover and protect complete upper body including arms/forearms & neck to provide protection from the risk of electrocution.
• Must provide protection up to 1.1 KV.
• Must have good durability and should withstand wear and tear due to high usage.
• Must be comfortable for working at height in hot and humid conditions of India.
• Must be cost-effective
• Must comply with relevant IEC/IS Standards and pass the statutory requirement of testing from reputed NABL Lab, as per the IEC/IS Standards.