We apply varying type of organic paints onto moving steel substrate by using coater heads. In this operation, paint is transferred to the moving strip with rotating rolls. There are at least two rolls of typical diameters 250-300mm that rotate with a tangential speed of around10 m/min. Customers request a high number of different colors or different paint chemistries. After each customer order, coater heads need to be washed and cleaned to eliminate any color contamination or paint contamination.
The coater head cleaning process involves many risks that need to be addressed, to avoid accidents. Some of the major risks are:
The techniques deployed currently for cleaning are:
Though most of the cleaning is done in "hands-free" mode, the risks associated are still not completely eliminated. Therefore, we are looking for solutions, which will completely eliminate risks associated with this process.
The solution should satisfy the following success criteria –
1) Zero harm (no injury): Operator’s hands should not get close to moving machinery while cleaning
2) Coater head cleaning should be completed in pre-defined time
3) Coater head must get cleaned completely without leaving any traces of paint and substance used while cleaning
4) Cleaning substance must get transported and drained automatically
5) The standard of the quality of the cleaning should not depend on operator’s skill and physical effort